Rentrak Corporation (Nasdaq: RENT), the global leader in box office measurement, today announced the worldwide weekend box office estimates for the weekend of September 2, 2012 as compiled by the company’s Box Office Essentials(TM) and International Box Office Essentials theatrical measurement services.
As the trusted standard for all studio box office reporting, Rentrak provides intelligence into overnight theatre-level reporting across the global theatrical market. Coupled with the official reported data, studios are able to analyze admissions and gross results in over 50 territories using Rentrak’s suite of products.
Rentrak’s President of Theatrical Worldwide, Ron Giambra commented, “We now have two summer films over the $1 billion mark in global box office. Marvel’s The Avengers hit the $1.5 billion plateau and The Dark Knight Rises stands at slightly over $1 billion.”
The top-12 domestic weekend box office estimates listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, September 2, 2012 are below.
Estimated Box Office Numbers for Weekend of Aug. 31:
1. Possession, The – Lionsgate – $17.7M
2. Lawless – The Weinstein Company – $9.7M
3. Expendables 2, The – Lionsgate – $8.8M
4. Bourne Legacy, The – Universal – $7.2M
5. ParaNorman – Focus Features – $6.6M
6. Odd Life Of Timothy Green, The – Disney – $6.1M
7. Dark Knight Rises, The – Warner Bros. – $5.9M
8. Campaign, The – Warner Bros. – $5.4M
9. 2016 Obama’s America – Rocky Mountain Pictures – $5.1M
10. Hope Springs – Sony – $4.7M
11. Premium Rush – Sony – $3.9M
12. Hit And Run – Open Road – $2.6M