The City of Orlando is seeking local fashion designers and artists to create innovative wearable looks made from materials that would otherwise be headed to the landfill or recycling facility. The designs will be featured at the Trash2Trends runway event, a fundraiser for Keep Orlando Beautiful, that seeks to bring the fashion and art world together with the environmental community to promote and inspire sustainability.
A panel of local celebrity judges will choose winners in five different categories: Top Design, Avant Garde, Best Use of Materials, Most Wearable and Audience Choice.
• Friday, November 14, 2014- Applications to participate in Trash2Trends are due
• Friday, November 21, 2014- Selected designers will be notified
• Saturday, February 28, 2015- Trash2Trends Fashion Fundraiser
More information will be provided upon artist selection.
• Materials must be “trash” items headed to the landfill or recycling facility.
• Binding techniques such as sewing, glue, tape and wire are allowed.
• Materials can be written on, printed on, painted on, dyed, manipulated, etc.
• Zippers, buttons, fasteners are permitted.
• If your fashion includes accessories (bags, hats, belts, etc.) they must follow the guidelines as well.
• Consider the “wearability” of your look when a model is wearing it and walking down a runway.
• Your design may not be more than 4’ in width.
• Be wildly creative. Make wearable fashion from discarded items. Stretch your thinking about how fashion can be more sustainable.
Visit cityoforlando.net/Trash2Trends for a printable or online application.
Anyone with questions or for more information, call Jody Buyas at 407.246.2752 or e-mail her at email@example.com.