The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) has announced the procedures for the 2015 NWSL Expansion Draft, which is scheduled to be held on Monday, Nov. 2 at 12 p.m. ET via conference call. As the lone expansion club, the Orlando Pride will be able to select up to ten (10) players from the list of unprotected players.
A “protected” player is a player who is not eligible to be drafted by Orlando in the Expansion Draft. All other players are “unprotected” and are eligible to be drafted by the Pride. The complete list of protected and unprotected players for all clubs will be announced on Monday, Oct. 26 at 1 p.m. ET.
Each team may protect up to two (2) U.S. allocated players. Any additional U.S. allocated players on a team’s roster must be left unprotected. The Pride will be allowed to select no more than two (2) U.S. allocated players.
In addition, Orlando will only be able to select up to two (2) players from any one club, except if they select a U.S. allocated player in which case they may not take any additional players from that club.
In the event Orlando selects a player who is not an U.S. allocated player that club may then designate an additional player to be added their protected player list.
The nine (9) returning NWSL teams will be allowed to protect up to the following number of players:
- Ten (10) players for non-playoff clubs (Boston Breakers, Houston Dash, Portland Thorns FC, Sky Blue FC and Western New York Flash)
- Nine (9) Players for playoff clubs (Chicago Red Stars, FC Kansas City, Seattle Reign FC and Washington Spirit)
All eligible players for the Expansion Draft include:
- Any current NWSL players including U.S., Mexican and Canadian allocated players
- Any player claimed via waivers but is unsigned
- Any player that has been loaned to a club outside the NWSL
- Any player who has her rights to play in the NWSL controlled by a specific team
However, Players on a team’s Discovery List are not eligible to be selected.
Expansion Draft Process:
- For each Round, Orlando will have 3 minutes to make its selection.
- After the selection is made, the League will verify the eligibility of the selection, confirm that the selection is approved, and publicly announce the selection.
- After Orlando makes a selection, the Team from which the selection was made will have three (3) minutes in which to designate one of their Unprotected Players as a Protected Player, except when the Player selected is a U.S. Allocated Player.
- Orlando may call up to three 5-minute time-outs during the Expansion Draft.
- Each Team may call up to one (1) 5-minute time-out during the Expansion Draft.
- The League may call a time-out of any length at any time.
About the Orlando Pride:
The Orlando Pride, OCSC’s National Women’s Soccer League franchise, will begin league play in 2016 – bringing professional women’s soccer to Orlando for the first time. The team is led by renowned Head Coach Tom Sermanni, former manager for the Australian and U.S. women’s national teams. For more information on the Orlando Pride, visit www.Orlando-Pride.com or follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.